A Doc's Life is a underground Medical Blog about some poor Singapore doctors. They are sibei sian and very buay song. Best practices not observed!
(Warning: Grammar is non existent in this blog. Those obsessively compulsive about good English please go no further and book an appointment to see your psychiatrist in Singapore.)

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Love Bites!

Dr Og last time work in the ward will always try and avoid chatting too much with the patients. It's not like Dr Og don't like you all ok, it's just that lokun must have lokun decorum, which means that we must be distant and mysterious. After some of my fellow colleagues kennah stalked, it affirmed my stance further -- although the staff nurse tell me I not yandao enough to get stalked one....hhhhhmmmmpph!

I remember got one time when I was a MO, the baby MO haolian show me a thank you letter folded into a heart-shape from a patient. This patient was young and chio and he baby MO was very buaya type. The patient was actually quite well but was admitted for low platelets because tiok Dengue (those were good ol' times when there were actually enough beds to admit patients). We were all in the same team and the few younger male MOs including Dr Buaya were fussing all over her. For the first time, they would actually put up their hands to take blood.... for her of course. It was a strange sight. One MO tying the tourniquet, one MO preparing the blood tubes and the lucky one, who won the orh ar peh ar song, performing the venipuncture.

Me? I didn't want to join the the charade, preferring to attend to the ah pek and ah mah. The old folks usually talk talk talk but they don't really mind you not listening. Anyway they either forget who you are soon enough or if their senses are impaired, they may not know who you are in the first place. 

I like my distance.

So this baby MO and the few other MOs who fussed over the girl all received the heart-shaped-thank-you-letters on the day she was discharged. I think I would be lying to say that I was not slightly jealous and wondering if her telephone number was in it. (There was of course no way we would call her as that would be ethically wrong.) After all, all of us do like to be liked but it's really about the amount of effort you are willing to put in.

Few days later, there were some shouting going on at the counter and it was distracting me from writing my blog in the MO room. I walked to the counter and there was the girl and her mother shouting at the poor PSA. They were complaining that there was a big blue black on the area where the blood was taken and refused to accept the explanation that it was quite normal and that the blue black will go away. Soon the buaya MO & et al joined in to explain but it quickly escalated into a heated argument. 

It ended acrimoniously with the girl pointing at the buaya MO shouting, "I want to complain against you!" 

Mother and girl stormed off...... presumably to the Quality Management Office. (Sometimes you get a limited edition teddy bear if you complain hard enough!)

Moral of the story? 



Please press the cotton on the venipuncture site long long and not let go. Otherwise sure kennah haematoma!  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:36 PM

    This post really got me ROTFLMAO! Esp when it came to the "It was a strange sight..." I can really picture it! :)

    But srsly, come patients' veins are just prone to hematoma :(

    ReplyDelete